Losing one or more teeth can make you self-conscious and cause difficulty with chewing and speaking, as well as increasing the risk of infection in the exposed gums and causing a reduction of bone tissue in the jaw. If you have lost a tooth, it is important you visit Dr Amin as soon as possible to discuss your options for a replacement.
The leading cause of tooth loss is gum disease. If you are experiencing redness, swelling, or discomfort in your gums, noticing blood when you brush and floss, or experiencing persistent bad breath, seek prompt treatment.
You may also lose a tooth through traumatic injury or an untreated infection of the soft tissues inside your tooth.
There are several tooth replacement solutions available. The best one for you depends on the number of teeth missing and their position in the mouth. In the case of a single missing tooth, you may choose a dental bridge or implant.
A bridge is a dental restoration that slots into the gap, fixing to the natural teeth on either side. An implant is a small titanium screw inserted into the jaw, with a dental crown attached to the top of it.
If you have lost many of your teeth, a full or partial denture may be the right solution for you. Dentures are removable plates with prosthetic teeth attached. Alternatively, you may opt for implant-retained dentures or an All-on-4® Same-Day Teeth dental implant procedure, providing a full-mouth restoration in a single appointment.
Preventing tooth loss is not difficult if you take the time to care for your smile. Dr Amin will do everything possible to save damaged teeth, but you can play a role in tooth loss prevention.
• Tooth decay occurs if you have poor hygiene habits, consume a diet high in sugar and carbohydrates, or skip routine teeth cleanings. If a cavity goes untreated, the tooth will eventually require extraction.
• Gum disease occurs when plaque remains on the gum tissue. Plaque eventually hardens into tartar and can lead to an infection in the gum pockets. Gum disease deteriorates the underlying bone leading to tooth loss.
• Oral injury can occur especially in high-impact sports. Wear a sports mouthguard to protect your teeth from trauma.
• Brush your teeth twice a day using a fluoride-based toothpaste and reduce your sugar intake.
• Visit Dr Amin for a comprehensive examination once every 6 months or as advised.
If you would like to know more about how to keep your smile healthy call Novel Dental Group on 01474 352 990.back to treatments